Nuffnang

Instagrammy

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Amsterdam to Cologne - 8/11/2013 - 9/11/2013

After being away from 'civilisation' or rather a city with more advanced technology and efficiency, I was extremely looking forward to this trip!




I flew to Amsterdam alone to take a train from Amsterdam Centraal station to meet Weiyi in Cologne. To be honest, I was pretty nervous about it as I haven't took a plane (alone) for a long time. Our travels are pretty much via trains or buses ever since I got back to Lisbon from Madrid. Also, I have a train to catch from the Amsterdam airport to get to Amsterdam Centraal. It was all in a rush. I got to Amsterdam Centraal on time and when the designated time for the train the Cologne is here, the screen suddenly turn light grey. The warning was all in Dutch so I couldn't understand. Asked the people around and they turned out to be Germans but could read a little Dutch. Was running all around with this Medical Prof to ask for help. So it turned out there was some technical fault and the ICEE train has to skip our station. Took another train to Arnhem to hop on to my train. The Germans were not very friendly. Everyone left one by one before the Arnhem train comes. And I followed this Italian guy who lives in Cologne. Not too bad but too much of a scare. I was sooooo hungry by the time I got to Cologne. The ride got delayed for almost 2 hours and my travel buddy was waiting in the cold in Cologne.

First meal in Germany - Saussages!!! But with my most hated cabbage (the same as those we had in Poland).


Weiyi was quite sick and had to sleep in so I went out to tour around our neighbourhood. We stayed in the best hostel I have ever ever stayed. I couldn't remember the name though. German was far too complicated. But it comes with a king sized bunk bed with curtains and a little shelf for privacy. I absolutely love it. The bathrooms are super duper clean. I need to find out the name again if I ever want to go back.

Cologne is so beautiful and quiet. Sneak into a neighbourhood Cafe for breakfast. I couldn't read anything and tried my best to guess...












Went back to wake Weiyi up and off we go... to tour the city.



The most simple church I have seen so far.



This is the super hard dough bread I had in Krakow. *shudders*



Hohenzollern Bridge.









Gross St. Martin





On our way to the Dom.






Dom is far too massive. I have no way of taking a beautiful picture of it so I bought a nice postcard of it and mailed to my boyfriend. Hope he still has it.

You get what I mean? 


Went back to Cologne Central Station to have a late lunch.

Lunch was pretty awesome but something awful happened.

Weiyi brought me to the super goooood Thai eatery for dinner for our last night in Cologne.


The eatery is manned by real Thais and the food is totally comparable to BKK food itself. Felt soooo blessed.


But anyway, as mentioned before, Weiyi's bag got stolen. It happened when we were waiting for our orders at the train station. A man suddenly came up to ask us for directions and speak in some foreign language. At first glance, I thought he was just a harmless German so I tried my best to point him to find some help. Weiyi was deleting his photos but turned around to wave him away and... his bag is gone when we turned around. Oh well... the camera bag itself was already quite expensive... plus the items inside. It was quite a huge loss but be thankful that the memory sticks and the camera itself were unscathed. Our trip sort of 'ended' after this incident. But oh yay... we get to experience the German Police's efficiency and I got the first hand experience of going through all the police reports and insurance claiming process.

No comments:

Post a Comment